Welcome! I’m looking forward to teaching you English!
[Update 2017: Please note that I only teach in Melbourne, Australia, or another Australian city if you to want invite me for special weekend training at your company – David ]
First, a few words about me:
- Over 15 years’ experience teaching English
- Professional teacher with the top qualifications (University of Cambridge CELTA and DELTA)
- A language enthusiast – I speak French (B2 level), Spanish (B2) and Czech (B1+)
- I’ve lived in many countries around the world so I know what it’s like to learn a new language and adapt to a new culture!
- Teaching in Melbourne only
I have all kinds of ideas on how you can improve your English. These courses below can all be taken as separate courses, although we can also blend different ideas into the one course. For example, we can follow a coursebook if you prefer but also add a focus on English For Australia.
English For Australia
This is specifically for learners who are interested in Australia, and those needing to brush up on some skills needed for life in Australia. Areas we can cover include:
- Aussie phrases, vocabulary, expressions
- Discovering more about Aussie culture through music, films
- Small talk and making friends, dealing with cultural differences
- Emailing to local government offices, banks, businesses
- Pretty much anything and everything connected to making your time here a happy one!
This course involves using a coursebook, Life, published by Cengage Learning and National Geographic. You can read more about Life here or I can show you in person. Life offers a very good basis for learning English:
- Functional language
- Global focus with articles from all over the world.
- Plenty of spoken English phrases and collocations
- Grammar and skills (writing, reading, listening, speaking)
Get The Job!
Are you looking for work? We’ll go over your curriculum vitae (or resumé) so that it is both professional and presents you in the best possible light. Sessions will cover possible job interview questions and having a consistent online presence (eg on LinkedIn). As well:
- Linking words to present your opinions and arguments
- Small talk practice (often job interviews start off this way)
- Practice on giving prepared and spontaneous presentations
- Specific vocabulary for your field
IELTS Exam Preparation
For many international students and workers from abroad, IELTS is the exam to take. I have a lot of materials for the exam and can help you prepare for it. From my experience, the most important area to improve in is usually Writing, especially Academic Writing, though it will be important to cover the other papers as well.
You’ll definitely get Academic Writing homework so be ready 🙂
Grammar & Patterns
Here we’ll look at English grammar and focus on patterns that you can use in your own conversations.
We’ll focus on the most important concepts in grammar and include a look at what some experts call word grammar.
English In The City
I’m really looking forward to doing this course with you! This is a new method and how I improved my Czech and Spanish while I was in Europe! Feel confident and relaxed when speaking English while you’re out and about in the city with me. Some of the things we can do:
- Grab a coffee in the city or Fitzroy, Richmond or South Melbourne
- Go for a walk along the river
- Get your errands and inquiries done at the bank, post office, local government office
You’ll speak English the whole time and I’ll give you feedback on your pronunciation and grammar and word selection.
Let’s cover the most important features of spoken English. I do have a coursebook for this so you can practice at home too. Includes:
- A look at connected speech, stress and intonation in English
- Discourse markers and other language you can use to sound more natural
English For Self-Development
We can discover and discuss a whole variety of topics connected to your own life goals and self-development, including:
- Personal finance and building wealth
- Goals v. methods
Some learners feel more comfortable with how English is taught at school. We can use a coursebook and focus on the most important elements of grammar, including using exercises and pair-work activities to practise grammar points.
English For You
What does your ideal English course look like? If it’s not listed above, how else can I help you? Please write to me with your ideas using the form below and let’s meet up and discuss our options together.
We can study in a more traditional way in your office or can go outside in the fresh air or mingle with people in the city.
I know what’s it’s like to be in a foreign country, and I’ve also had experience with learning languages (Czech, French and Spanish). I’m a professional teacher with over 15 years’ experience in helping people, so please feel free to contact me today!
Please use the form below if you’re interested in learning English with me or have a question about how I can help you improve your English today.